Removing an app icon from launcher
Creating an application that does not appear among the launchable applications with an icon is easy.
Just do not put a launcher activity into AndroidManifest.xml
- <action android:name="android.intent.action.MA
- <category android:name="android.intent.category.
Removing an application icon after installation programatically is a bit more tricky.
You can not disable the icon itself, but you can disable one component of an application. So disabling the applications launcher activity will result its icon to be removed from launcher.
The code to do this is simple:
- ComponentName componentToDisable =
- new ComponentName("com.helloandroid.apptodi
There is a few things to know about this solution:
- the disabled component will not be launchable in any way
- other non disabled activities will be launchable from other applications
- an application can only disable its own component. There is a permission "android.permission.CHANGE_COM
PONENT_ENABLED_STATE", but it wont work, 3rd party applications can not have this permission
- the icon will only disapper when the launcher is restarted, so likely on next phone reboot, forcing the launcher to restart is not recommended
New tutorials from Helloandroid
Android on Twitter
Android Development Projects
- 编写安卓应用程式 ,利用wordpress开源工程简单修改 by tilaka3
- Board Game App for IOS/Android by happyjong
- Capture stats from volleyball video using my Android app by rickkozak
- Need fixes and additional IAP's on Android and IOS application by bmrfit
- Write an iPhone & Android Messaging application by ppa55e66392bed11
- Make my app compatible with android tablets by rdarwiche
- Classdojo Android and IOS by joedisi
- SitFit Mobile App by nigelhobbs
- Write a GPS application for Android and iPhone with social traffic by Thezealous83
- Help with refactoring Android app needed by exit009