Removing an app icon from launcher
Creating an application that does not appear among the launchable applications with an icon is easy.
Just do not put a launcher activity into AndroidManifest.xml
- <action android:name="android.intent.action.MA
- <category android:name="android.intent.category.
Removing an application icon after installation programatically is a bit more tricky.
You can not disable the icon itself, but you can disable one component of an application. So disabling the applications launcher activity will result its icon to be removed from launcher.
The code to do this is simple:
- ComponentName componentToDisable =
- new ComponentName("com.helloandroid.apptodi
There is a few things to know about this solution:
- the disabled component will not be launchable in any way
- other non disabled activities will be launchable from other applications
- an application can only disable its own component. There is a permission "android.permission.CHANGE_COM
PONENT_ENABLED_STATE", but it wont work, 3rd party applications can not have this permission
- the icon will only disapper when the launcher is restarted, so likely on next phone reboot, forcing the launcher to restart is not recommended
New tutorials from Helloandroid
Android on Twitter
Android Development Projects
- android game developer by pledgesa
- Mass mobile by inzamamhaq
- Create mobile app by shafijann00
- Looking for new Aps ,scripts , games, plugins, themes, finished and ideas, android , iphone , linkedin, google, facebook, youtube, pininterest, wordpress ect... by Thomaswinaung
- a mobile app for past questions and answers by samiruggs
- Project for madhavmishra91 by Bobbytarantino
- Mobile development by prasanthrchn
- Some Changes on Android application by ngcabproject
- 2 Android Google SDK Features Needed For Existing Custom Soft Keyboard App. by jrkalis
- Build Android Tablet Application which Interfaces with Server by geraldbegumisa