Removing an app icon from launcher
Creating an application that does not appear among the launchable applications with an icon is easy.
Just do not put a launcher activity into AndroidManifest.xml
- <action android:name="android.intent.action.MA
- <category android:name="android.intent.category.
Removing an application icon after installation programatically is a bit more tricky.
You can not disable the icon itself, but you can disable one component of an application. So disabling the applications launcher activity will result its icon to be removed from launcher.
The code to do this is simple:
- ComponentName componentToDisable =
- new ComponentName("com.helloandroid.apptodi
There is a few things to know about this solution:
- the disabled component will not be launchable in any way
- other non disabled activities will be launchable from other applications
- an application can only disable its own component. There is a permission "android.permission.CHANGE_COM
PONENT_ENABLED_STATE", but it wont work, 3rd party applications can not have this permission
- the icon will only disapper when the launcher is restarted, so likely on next phone reboot, forcing the launcher to restart is not recommended
New tutorials from Helloandroid
Android on Twitter
Android Development Projects
- Write an Android application urgent hiring by webdesc
- Write an Android application by fandreta
- Deliver a Firemonkey (Delphi) barcode reader app to Android by eszoftver
- Deliver a Firemonkey (Delphi) APP with Star Printer SDK by eszoftver
- I need Google Play Developer/Publisher Account by andyspeak
- build mobile phone for offers - Cost estimation by trafficmaster1
- Game for Android by melad00
- Creating a PHP script to send whatsapp bulk messages by faresalsaedi
- I want to develop Voip application -- 2 by coresoftwork
- Develope a speed gun app works on iOS/Android by ITDesignRaccon