Removing an app icon from launcher
Creating an application that does not appear among the launchable applications with an icon is easy.
Just do not put a launcher activity into AndroidManifest.xml
- <action android:name="android.intent.action.MA
- <category android:name="android.intent.category.
Removing an application icon after installation programatically is a bit more tricky.
You can not disable the icon itself, but you can disable one component of an application. So disabling the applications launcher activity will result its icon to be removed from launcher.
The code to do this is simple:
- ComponentName componentToDisable =
- new ComponentName("com.helloandroid.apptodi
There is a few things to know about this solution:
- the disabled component will not be launchable in any way
- other non disabled activities will be launchable from other applications
- an application can only disable its own component. There is a permission "android.permission.CHANGE_COM
PONENT_ENABLED_STATE", but it wont work, 3rd party applications can not have this permission
- the icon will only disapper when the launcher is restarted, so likely on next phone reboot, forcing the launcher to restart is not recommended
New tutorials from Helloandroid
Android on Twitter
Android Development Projects
- Personal Trainer Cleint Management App by FuzeGraphics
- Android Trainer by ShraddhaRK
- Informative Android and iPhone App Development by Superdave888
- Solitaire Game for Android by anhtuan19
- Mobile App iPad/iOS and Android Simple Application by HugoFortis
- A game app by Gabe1002
- Phonegap Developer by islam070
- android directory and display ads in that, only gif's images by kinjaloswal0009
- Convert Android app to Windows Phone 8 app by apriasmoro
- Android Mobile Application: Use of money by phdveiga