Removing an app icon from launcher
Creating an application that does not appear among the launchable applications with an icon is easy.
Just do not put a launcher activity into AndroidManifest.xml
- <action android:name="android.intent.action.MA
- <category android:name="android.intent.category.
Removing an application icon after installation programatically is a bit more tricky.
You can not disable the icon itself, but you can disable one component of an application. So disabling the applications launcher activity will result its icon to be removed from launcher.
The code to do this is simple:
- ComponentName componentToDisable =
- new ComponentName("com.helloandroid.apptodi
There is a few things to know about this solution:
- the disabled component will not be launchable in any way
- other non disabled activities will be launchable from other applications
- an application can only disable its own component. There is a permission "android.permission.CHANGE_COM
PONENT_ENABLED_STATE", but it wont work, 3rd party applications can not have this permission
- the icon will only disapper when the launcher is restarted, so likely on next phone reboot, forcing the launcher to restart is not recommended
New tutorials from Helloandroid
Android on Twitter
Android Development Projects
- Post 3 Apps to google playstore by arlindpajaziti
- Write an iPhone/Android application with backend services. by iOS8Pro
- App Plugins by Akif1755
- Write a Android App (Using Web Service) by ceobtechcare
- Need a game like hill climbing in android by bangdroid007
- App for random selection of a participant by inakiazpeitia
- INTERNET WEB PAGE FOR ANDROID APP by nrer7251
- Write an iPhone application for GPS based app by Benetez
- project flirter by viktorwaagaard
- Write an Android application by raviprashanth83