Make Eclipse run fast on Ubuntu 12.04
One thing which can be extremely annoying for developers is Eclipse. It can be a giant mess to run, and it doesn’t run well straight off the bat for users of Ubuntu 12.04. I share some of my tips to make it work really well for you.
Tip #1: Use the Oracle Java VM 7. It’s amazing how much different this is compared with Version 6 of either the official, or OpenJDK versions.
How to easily do this: Follow the easy instructions on this website: http://www.duinsoft.nl/package
Tip #2: Use your own set-up of Eclipse. Basically, download the package from the Eclipse website and pop it somewhere like /opt/eclipse (which is what I’ve done). Also, remember to add a short script for a launcher like so:
As Java doesn’t support the neat Unity overlayer scrollbars, you have to turn them off for that app only. Then you can use the “Main Menu” app (you may have to install) if you want it working from the launcher.
Tip #3: Give it more memory. Open
-Xms is the starting size but -Xmx is the maximum Java will allow, so it’s best to have a nice starting size to prevent growth groans.
And, combining these tips make it work fairly well on my laptop which has 2GB of RAM (in total) and a 1.5Ghz dual-core processor.
If you’ve managed to find any tips to make Eclipse move that little bit quicker, do tell us in the comments!
New tutorials from Helloandroid
Android on Twitter
Android Development Projects
- App like shpock by stefanosintcom
- Mobile development by rohits105
- Write an Android application by karaneunimart205
- Aplicativo para orfanato, asilos e outras entidades. by fragmaq
- Food delivery app needed. by Hmdcubes
- integrate comechat script to existing app by faisalalhelo
- Apl Android by boyserhan3
- Food delivery app by csunilkumar31
- Write an Android application by prashanthbommidi
- iOS dating app by timrabara