Calling system settings from an Android app - GPS example
This tutorial shows how to redirect the user to a system settings screen asking to modify some settings the application depends on. We will make a specific example with GPS: The application can be used only if GPS is available.
The android systems GPS setting screen can be called just like any other Activities:
- startActivityForResult(new Intent(android.provider.Settings.ACTION_LOCATION_SOURCE_SETTING
To check GPS availability use the code code below: (the Activity must implement LocationListener)
- LocationManager locationManager = (LocationManager) getSystemService(LOCATION_SERVICE);
- locationManager.requestLocationUpdates(LocationManager.GPS_PROVIDER, 1000L,1.0f, this);
- boolean isGPS = locationManager.isProviderEnabled (LocationManager.GPS_PROVIDER);
The example application will do the following:
1. On application start check if gps is available. If it is on the application can proceed.
2. If GPS is turned off, display a dialog asking the user to turn it on, and 2 buttons, one to go to GPS settings screen, and a cancel button to exit the application.
3. When the dialog is displayed we must store in a variable that the user was already asked once to turn on GPS
4. If the user leaves to the GPS options screen, it is not sure that he will turn on the GPS!
5. When the user returns to uor application we recheck the GPS. If its available we can proceed, otherwise we close the application. (in order to check that it is a returm to the activity or is it its first start we check the variable we set in step 3)
So we will have the code in the applications starting Activitys onResume method, where we will detect GPS availability, use a dilaog to ask the user, an Intent to go to options screen, and a variable to indicate the state of the GPS turn on process. The code for this example application is available here. Turn off yuor GPS and try runing it.
New tutorials from Helloandroid
Android on Twitter
Android Development Projects
- Add login to existing App using API by TIARC
- Write an Android application by prudhvivenu
- beach cricket by mmj1618176445314
- Write an Android application by benterud1331
- Write an iPhone application by nathan1978
- Mobile Development by shabinmahadevan
- Write an Android application by alamin5689
- We would to create a splash screen and APP Icon by esikumo
- Risk Allocation Program - open to bidding by AhmedMahmoud65
- Instagram Likes and Followers for Android in Java or Delphi by RDTech