Google Play downloads look to overtake Apple by this fall
We talk a lot of smack about Apple around here, and this time I’m going to try and be a little kinder. Let me begin by saying congrats to Apple as they recently celebrated their 50-billionth app download. Ok, the ability to be nice stops there as it has been announced that Android users are currently downloading 500-million more apps per month than Apple, and at that rate Andy will speed on by and be the most popular on the market by this fall.
Thanks to new devices from Samsung, Google Play has forged ahead despite limited top-end applications and consumers who are conscious buyers. There are now 900-million Android devices in the market compared to 600-million Apple products today. To help push Andy ahead, Android has recently won over a large number of app developers and even though things started slow and less apps launch first on Android, a growing number of the most popular are now available on both platforms and the gap between launches seems to be narrowing.
Here are some interesting stats: Apple says that more than 850,000 titles are available on its App Store, while Google recently mentioned that 48-billion apps in total have been downloaded from Play. Approximately 2-billion iOS apps are downloaded each month, but about 2.5-billion are downloaded on Android devices from Google Play.
At this rate, it is expected that Google will be in the lead by October.
New tutorials from Helloandroid
Android on Twitter
Android Development Projects
- Write an Android application by greenali1983
- Review and document existing messaging app by sumalus
- Modify existing Android app for visual edits (for Sunxiyong0116 only) by sumalus
- Mobile development by afriwood
- Mobile development by garywelt31
- Mobile development by Fredoko
- Write an iPhone application by nutzaudio
- Write an Android application by goyalchiranjeev1
- Android & IOS App by DigiWhizz
- Mobile development by emrys919